Kx22 Heatsink by Pro Audio Engineering
Elecraft KX2 Heatsink & side panels
Welcome to my latest blog , I first purchased the Elecraft KX2 portable transceiver and was one of the first portable operators to own one in the UK serial #401
It was a excellent radio to operate out in the field or on the summits or down by the local beach , but it had a issue with it heating up and always thought why could they not do a heatsink something similar to its bigger brother the KX3
Anyways I moved away from the Elecraft range and tried a number of radios and most recently the Xiegu X5105 where I have written a review in the next issue of Practical Wireless , It's a perfect radio and as all the added features and most of all the heatsink which was great been able to TX much longer at higher levels .
I had watched many videos on YouTube about going out portable and getting halfway through a QSO either in SSB or CW or even DATA ( PSK FT8 ) ect .
The KX2 would heat up and cut out and then having the wait for the radio's PA to cool down even when transmitting only 5w
So cutting the long story short , I had the chance to own another Elecraft KX2 so I purchased it and then noticed that GEM Products & Pro Audio Engineering designed the side panels with a Heatsink :) ....
Pro Audio Engineering are based in the USA and sell a number of products and Also GEM sell additional items for the KX2/3 range .
So I decided to place my order via the website ( Link Below ) and payed via PayPal
The Side Panels with the pre mounted BNC which for the extra $14 its sure worth it and saves more time when fitting it
Total cost was $94.90 & $33.00 postage to the UK
Customs was £26.44 and will be different depending on your country
I found that it was very easy to fit the panels onto the radio which is done by removing the screws and take your time removing the screw and bolts where the PA's are .
Delivery time was around 6 days via UPS & Royal Mail
It took no more that 15 minutes to do and I have not had any time to run it through its paces yet but do intend getting out portable in the coming days/week .
Information from Pro Engineering Website Below
In response to many requests from our customers, we are proud to announce the release of the Kx22 heatsink for the Elecraft™ KX2! As we did with the Kx31 and Kx32 heatsinks for the Elecraft™ KX3, the Kx22 is designed using thermal modeling and offers the maximum cooling by natural convection. Given the extreme portability designed into the KX2, our main goal was to maintain the small size and light weight of the KX2 while offering improved thermal performance in transmit, and we believe we succeeded on all fronts. The width of the petite KX22 heatsink is only 0.4″ (10 mm), which is less than the KX2’s BNC jack protrudes so it still fits in the LowePro bags offered by Elecraft. The weight is only 1.36 oz (38.7 g) so there is little weight penalty when packing the rig for a hike.
The Kx22 is a billet-aluminum piece black-anodized to match and compliment the appearance of the rig. It offers the extended transmit time desired by KX2 digital mode operators of up to 250% at full output.
If you already have the GEMS KX2 SideKX, then you need only order the Kx22 which replaces the right-end SideKX plate. if your KX2 has the stock end panels, then order both the Kx22 Heatsink and Left SideKX Plate. In either case you would benefit by also purchasing the matching SideKX KX2 cover to provide dust and splash protection. With the cover installed, it is like putting the KX2 in a hard case but much more compact and light, and all controls are protected from damage. The Kx22 Heatsink is also 100% compatible with the GEMS KX2 Mobile Mount.
- Designed using thermal modeling software for best performance.
- Ratio of base mass to fin area optimized for the duty cycle of digital modes.
- Rounded cross-section for no-snag use in fabric cases, and no sharp corners to cut or damage adjacent objects.
- When mounted on Elecraft™ KX2 along with GemsProducts™ SideKX plates and cover, the combo will fit in a standard LowePro CS40 or CS60 case.
- Custom-color black anodized instead of powder-coated for superior thermal performance.
- Radiusing compliments the design of the GemsProducts™ SideKX.
- Custom fin spacing matches KX2 screw placement for a clean appearance, it does not look like a stock heatsink profile modified to fit.
- Optimum compromise for most all operators between stock appearance and enhanced transmit time.
- The Kx22 is supplied with an installation manual and a packet of heat-transfer grease.
- Each heatsink is visually checked after machining, and again after anodizing to make sure there are no defects before being shipped to you.
If you would like to know more about these products please contact Scott at GEM or Howie at Pro Audio Engineering for more information or drop me a message via the contacts section on my website
73 Carl 2E0HPI